Friday, October 24, 2008

Weekend Update

(1) I am watching an episode of "The Hills" and they keep talking about how they're all going to Cabo for Brody's birthday and it's going to be amazing and they're going to party so hard. And every time they mention it, I KEEP thinking they're saying "Kabul" instead of "Cabo" and I'm like "Wait, LC goes to Afghanistan for fun, too?! I always KNEW we would be friends!" Which I think means I live in the wrong part of the world to be watching trashy MTV "reality" shows.

(2) On that note, last night I got to sing Paris Hilton's "Stars Are Blind" on stage at our favorite Filipino club, backed up by the cover band. I think it was one of the best moments of my life. (Friend L was like, "I can't believe you know the words to that song!" and I was like, "Um hi, I know the words to that whole ALBUM... as well as the broader sociopolitical controversy of Paris working with producer JR at a time when he was thought to be dating Britney." Hey, it was during the Dark Year, I had a lot of time to devote to pop culture...) ANYHOW. I also realized last night that this place is our Dubai version of "Cheers" because we roll in (the only 10 white people in the club) and the band literally stops playing to be like "Mr. Eric! Mr. Eric is here! MR. ERIC!!!!" And I, um, get invited up on stage to sing songs. Because that's normal. (File under: Rude Awakenings To Be Had When I Return to A Place Where Blonde Women Make Up More Than 0.001% of the Population.)

(3) I am going to a schmancy group dinner at the new Nobu tonight, so I'm off to hit the gym and then scour my closet for an outfit that says "yes, I am a cute young thing and look how nice my legs are" while simultaneously saying "no, I am not cabin crew for Emirates, and if we could all purposefully ignore the fact that I'm 10 years younger and several million dollars poorer than everyone else at this table, that would be great." The sartorial holy grail!