Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Holy Crap! Marathons

So I am flush with excitement about my newly minted 2008-2009 running plan with New Blonde American Friend L.

It all started with the Beirut Marathon, which we're registered for and running in, inshallah, on 30 November.

Then L got me all excited about the Two Oceans Ultramarathon in Cape Town, South Africa on 11 April, which I have drooled over ever since I opened my very first issue of Runner's World back in, I don't know, 1993, and which I now live in close proximity to (well, okay, an 8-hour flight... closer than from the States).

Then we realized if we're going to be running a 34.8 mile ultra in April, we should probably have a 26.2 miles regular marathon tune-up a bit closer to race day... enter the Dubai Marathon on 18 January.

So this leaves us with the following tagline: 2 Americans, 3 countries, 3.5 marathons, 5 months.

Now what I am about to say might be shocking given that if you are reading this blog you should Know How I Feel About Charity Runners (in 2 words: not good) (or in 2 other words: fat, slow). However, it occurs to me that as a highly limited demographic group in a highly fundraising-friendly environment setting out to do a highly impressive thing, we would be uniquely positioned to raise a boatload of cash for a cause of our choosing.

Which leads me to solicit your feedback! What are some charities we should consider? Ideally it would fit in with a relevant theme - something Middle Eastern or South African in honor of where we are running, something American in honor of our homeland, something for the womyns since we are womyn (ha)... etc.

I am new to this whole "doing an athletic endeavor for something other than my own personal satisfaction" business, so any suggestions are appreciated - email me!