Monday, December 3, 2007

Oh Hai!

First of all, if you don't get the title reference, read this and then get on board. Kthanxbye.

Okay yes so it's been a while. Mostly, I've been insanely busy with work because I got pulled from my normal duties to work on a "hidden project" (oh, mistranslations) - basically sorting out and wrapping up this krazy deal that my company got itself roped into as a result of a well-intentioned but misguided effort to ensure that a certain huge new development goes to Dubai, not Abu Dhabi. (Because that would be haram like you cannot even believe. Srsly.)

Anyhow, it's super interesting work and is basically like doing a business case study if only the case reflected the way that business is actually done here, as opposed to in the rest of the world... I'm learning a ton about contracts and feasibility studies and project management and inter-emirate politics and best of all, I'm off to LA on Thursday to renegotiate the terms of the deal (well, okay, me and like 9 more senior people from my company) so I have NO complaints.

Everything else has been insane as well, what with Thanksgiving festivities last weekend and then all-you-can-eat-and-drink brunch at Al Qasr, Rugby 7s finals, and National Day celebrations this weekend. Tonight I'm off to Abu Dhabi to go as M's date to some Swedish National Symphony concert she has to schmooze at for work, and then I need to start stalking the Indian consulate to give me my visa for Goa, and then on Thursday begins the 24 hours of travel/48 hours in LA/6 hours of travel/14 hours in NY/14 hours of travel odyssey that will be my next "weekend." Yay!