Saturday, December 29, 2007

Another Day, Another Airport

And so here I am, about to embark upon my fourth 24-hour plane trip of the past month. Ew.

I was actually supposed to be transiting through O'Hare at this very moment, enjoying an interflight layover drink with the venerable LSoch, but blizzards in Chicago have dictated that Nashville-Chicago-Zurich-Dubai be changed to Nashville-DC-Frankfurt-Dubai and hence, I'm chilling at the Nashville "International" Airport waiting for my later flight all by my lonesome.

As a sidenote, the tragic outcome of my itinerary change is that rather than having my transatlantic leg be operated by Swiss (European carrier = free booze!), my transatlantic leg is now operated by United (American carrier = $5/cocktail). Oh, the humanity - I will have to resort to Ambien instead, but that is MUCH less fun than a couple of G&Ts at 35,000 feet.

At any rate. America, my family, and my dog are all fabulous and I had an awesome week-plus at home. It's funny, no matter how happy I am living wherever it is I'm living, it's still always so hard to leave when I come back home... what can I say, roots run deep.

Speaking of roots running deep - in the past 24 hours I got my blond highlights redone, indulged in 2 x 12-minute sessions in THE MATRIX tanning bed, and got gloriously long, perfectly French-manicured fake nails. How Tennessee am I - I might as well buy a Dooney & Burke purse and go tailgate at a Vols game. Ha.

One of the highlights, BTW, of my sejour in the homeland was getting asked where I live when I signed in at my parents' gym as a guest. When I replied "Dubai," the woman at the check-in desk was like "Oh, are you a missionary?!" and I had to sheepishly tell her that no - on a number of levels -I am not a missionary... nor can one really "proselytize" in the Gulf.

And with that, boarding is about to start so let the flying begin! America, I barely knew ye...