Tuesday, September 30, 2008

There is No Hate in my Heart Today

The sun is shining and the roads are empty and the cranes are still and I'm working from home in sweatpants in honor of the holiday and the Pakistani delivery guy who brings me my coffee from the cafe downstairs just told me "Eid Mubarak!" when I answered the door (not in a "F you, this is an Islamic country, I'm going to rub it in your face" kind of way but in a sweet, genuinely excited kind of way).

And it kind of feels like Christmas morning, if only Christmas happened on the first perfect day of fall when you wake up and for the first time in 4 months it's not 95F outside, but a breezy 80 or so.

This place ain't all bad. ;)

So all I have to do today is finish this presentation, go to the Canadian Hospital to get my yellow fever shot (don't ask), and then I'm Uganda-bound tomorrow morning with L, sipping Bloody Marys on our Emirates flight to Addis Ababa where we will pick up the boys, who left a day early thanks to the last-minute holiday declaration and are enjoying a 24-hour layover in Ethiopia en route to Entebbe / Kampala.

Please, Ethiopia for Eid is SO last year... the Horn of Africa is all played out, it's time to go Sub-Saharan. [To be said in the officious tone of the 17 year-old JAP hostess who worked with me at Peacock and told me "David Yurman is all played out, I'm moving on to Bvlgari."]

And with that, back to work!