Monday, September 1, 2008

Ramadan, Marathon, and Party Time

First of all, Ramadan is upon us, so Ramadan Kareem to all my readers. May you experience all the blessings of this holy month - or may you have enough granola bars hidden in your purse to make it through 30 days of no public eating.

Or may you just be in a country that allows everyone to do their own thing. Whatevs.

Second of all, I'd like to get some respect for the fact that I fiiiiiiiiiiinally started my training for the Beirut Marathon (30 November, baby) tonight by doing a steamy early-evening 8-miler in Za'abeel Park. I'm telling you: rarely, if ever, has 8 miles been so hard. Hard to the point that about 5 miles in, I started running through the park's tepid sprinklers - even though I know for a fact that the water they use for watering grass here is FULL OF FECES (cf. we live in the desert, make due with what you have) - because I was so freaking hot. When I got home around 9:30 PM, I checked weather.com and was like "Ohhhhhhh... current temperature 94F, feels like 104F, humidity 56%... THAT'S why it sucked so much!" Ew.

Third of all, what a weekend. By now you've probably seen the pictures of our post-birthday/pre-Ramadan party on Facebook, but let me just say, it was one for the ages. According to the sign-in data from our building's reception desk, we had 112 discrete visitors during the course of the evening, and that's not counting guests-of-guests who didn't sign in. (Look how quantitative I am now that I'm a consultant. Would you like me to make you a ThinkCell graph?!) I think everyone I know in Dubai was there, and I feel like I got a taste of what my wedding will be like: I wanted to talk to everyone but didn't have time, everyone kept telling me how pretty my dress was, and I kept telling everyone how cheap my dress was. Ha. Although in ex-BF R's words, "hopefully your wedding night won't end with you thowing up in Flatmate E's toilet."

Knowing me, though, never say never...