Friday, September 12, 2008

Baby's First Night Out

It's 3 AM... do you know where your consultants are?!

Tonight was my first "office drinks/dinner" for the new job, and I have to say: (a) I had high expectations and (b) those expectations were met. After dating le français (who worked for a different but similar consulting firm) for so long, I had a lot of experience attending consultant team-building nights as a "significant other"... but it's a lot more fun when you're there in your own right. I have to say, 9 hours of drinks/food/dancing/schmoozing with partners - all on the company dime - is kind of fun, not to mention that it is soooooo extremely refreshing to work and socialize with people who aren't idiots. What a revelation.

For a preview of my new world, check out hilarious "Consultants vs. Bankers " video on YouTube, if you haven't already seen it. The sad thing is that I have used both "the 5 forces" and "the 3 Cs" in the past 36 hours... but my favorite line is definitely "hold up, I'm 'bout to put you in a 2-by-2 matrix ... you're in the lower right quadrant but you still ain't my dawg."

In other news, despite the five-year multiple entry visa in my passport and the two new abayas in my closet, it looks like I'm not going to Saudi right away. Basically the client hadn't signed, and hadn't signed, and hadn't signed, and so finally we're giving up and reallocating people to different projects. But all is not lost, because the new case I'm getting staffed on as of Sunday will allegedly require me to split my time between Dubai, [redacted Southeast Asian country], and [redacted Caribbean country]. Um... okay. Twist my arm. Just get me out of Dubai. ;)

Night night!