Sunday, July 20, 2008

21 Countries, 6 Years, 2 Monkeys, 1 Goal



































(The goal, obviously, is to elicit the question "Who does that?" - I would have used a colon or perhaps a hyphen for the sake of clarity, but I was not in charge of t-shirt design for this trip. Ahem.)

Larry touches down at 10:45 PM tomorrow and I am peeing my pants with excitement to see his cute little all-American face pop out amongst the Pakistanis at the DXB arrivals hall. We're here for 3 days, during which time my mission is to make him not hate Dubai (a sizable task, given he is more predisposed to rail against the city's fakeness/plasticity/egregiousness than anyone besides maybe my mom). Then on Friday morning we fly out to Amman for 9 days in Jordan, the West Bank, Israel, and Egypt (with a long enough layover in Kuwait on the way back that we can leave the airport and count it as a country visited together, as per the t-shirt specifications).

I cannot even begin to imagine how great the trip is going to be, and I feel like some history-heavy, spirituality-pondering time in the Holy Land with the wholesome goodness of L.Soch is exactly what I need given recent partying/drama-mongering/man-obsessing. (Although I'm sure there will be some crazy nights out in Tel Aviv and Sharm Al Sheikh.)

In other news, I am really intrigued by the French government's decision to deny citizenship to this woman because she wears niqab. I am actually totally unable to decide how I feel about it. On one hand, it completely goes against freedom of expression/religion, and it seems to be an arbitrary line - what's next, denying citizenship to Muslims who don't drink wine based on the same argument (that they haven't "sufficiently assimilated" to French culture)? On the other hand - especially living in the region where the niqab originated, and where 20-30% of local women still wear it - I am so viscerally opposed to the practice of wearing niqab that I almost want to go ahead and agree with the decision simply because it feels right.

Sigh. Is it time to leave work yet??!