Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Welcome to Beijing?

Okay, first of all (and primarily for the enjoyment of my family), please watch this Chinese propaganda video for the Beijing Olympics and then tell me it's not the spitting-image Mandarin version of "Proud to Be An American." You don't have to sit through all 7 minutes, but crank the sound up and let it get going - wait for it to break down into a capella around 2:30. Honestly, do you not feel it was written (at least in spirit) by Lee Greenwood?! And since we all know the recurring role that song - and occasionally that sentiment - has had in my life, I feel it is important to see the way it translates across cultures. In honor of me coming home in a week, I'd like to nominate it as the springtime heir apparent to the "Moqtada, Moqtada" YouTube hit from Christmas break. (Had to be there - or have to understand the eccentricities of my family.)

Second of all, I saw another blond woman running outside tonight. For the first time in 10 months of living in Dubai. It was AMAZING. She had on short shorts and an iPod and everything. I think I fell in love. Watch out, mean streets of the Middle East - we're taking over, two at a time!

Third of all. Gossip Girl. HOLY CRAP - sh!t is going DOWN. I don't even know if anyone who reads my blog is a GG follower, but woooooooooooooooooooooooow, email me if you are because we need to TALK about who Serena killed and WHY GEORGINA SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME and there is no one here with whom I can speculate. Best thing ever? Watching next week's episode on an actual TV in America instead of via iTunes on my work computer in Dubai!

6 days!