Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Princess of Twilight

I feel that I have learned several Life Lessons recently through my various and sundry goings-on in the DXB. I won't talk about the context for them on my blog (ask if you're curious), but they are as follows:

1. I am a Princess of Twilight, and then some (following on from my boss, who is teaching my male + senior colleague to be more underhanded and manipulative, aka a "Prince of Darkness")
2. Always go for the money shot (in other words - if you want something, ask for it - explicitly)
3. Manage your relationships - all of them (or, "those people you're out drinking with on Friday nights? they matter!")
4. Think big-time (especially here: when in Rome, do as the Romans/when in Dubai, make it big)

I'm sure this is all sounds very cryptic, but we'll leave it at this: I have a good friend/mentor here who keeps telling me to "stop thinking like a woman," and I think I'm starting to understand what she means. I may go down as the first person in history to move to the Middle East and become more empowered as a female. Cool!

So with that out of the way, other news! Um, yeah, so yesterday it rained, and we were all like "dude it's raining in the desert in May? sign of the apocalypse!" and then everyone woke up this morning to the news that it was actually government-induced artificial rain. (Sidebar: is it any wonder that I am plotting to become a dark overlord in a place where PEOPLE EVEN MANIPULATE THE FREAKING WEATHER?!) Hilarious.

Also, cross your fingers for me because on Friday morning I'm doing my first-ever triathlon! I was hesitant about the whole "deep-water swim" bit in the Arabian Gulf (and about the prospect of driving to Jebel Ali at 6 AM on a weekend!!!!), but Earnest Ivy League All-American Flatmate D (replacement to Douchey Vapid Argentinean Flatmate J) goaded me into it, and we all know that I am easily goaded into sporting challenges. Unfortunately, my lifestyle (read: gross enormous weight gain) in Dubai means that the main thing which has always appealed to me about triathlizing (fun, multi-functional spandex outfits!) will not be relevant, but... maybe next time, inshallah.

It was too funny though, I went up to the pool on the roof of my building the other night for a training swim, and as I pulled on my brand-new swim cap and squished my goggles down into my eyes, I realized holy crap, this was such a huge part of my life for what, an entire decade, and now it's been an entire decade again since I've done it?! After I finished my workout, I got out of the pool and of course, the call to prayer was echoing all across Satwa and Jumeirah and I looked out over Dubai at night and was like, "Yeah, if my life could have a few less full-circle movie-esque 'look how far I've come' moments right now, that would be great." But it was cool.

So yeah. I'm off to practice riding my borrowed bike to Mar's house for a shisha/catch-up session with the girls!

PS - I'm coming to America in 2 weeks. Have I told everyone that?! NY + TN = let's play!