Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Forgive Me Culture, For I Have Sinned

So it's lunchtime at the office and I was just browsing through the NY Times online as I ate my soup. After perusing the main headlines, I came across a link to an article entitled "The Prado Makes Room to Show Off More Jewels." Not noticing what section it was in, and thinking they were talking about this Prado, I clicked eagerly on the link - what exciting features could they be adding to the de rigeur SUV that rules Dubai's roads? "Room"? "More jewels"?! What did it all meeeeeean... bigger engines? Better stereos? Swarovski crystal-encrusted dashboards? How could you make a Land Cruiser any more pimpin' than it already is?!

Then imagine my dismay when I followed the link and realized that the article was, in fact, talking about this Prado.

And picture my further dismay when I realized that yes, I had actually been more excited to read an article about an updated version of a luxury 4x4 than to read an article about a new wing at one of the world's most famous art museums.

Verily, I say unto you, this country will make a Philistine out of me yet.