Sunday, August 5, 2007

Code Red

In deference to Schmom's worries about someone in Dubai finding my blog ("This is your career now!" ... oh crap, it is) my musings are now available by invitation only. A sad, sad sign of the times, but probably a necessary one. Such is life.

So, Sunday morning, back in the office, triple-shot latte by my side. The weekend got off to a rocky start with what turned out to be a highly ill-fated trip to Oman - we didn't leave Dubai until 11 PM and finally made it to the border at 1 AM only to be turned back when we realized that M's temporary visa didn't permit her to leave the country and no amount of pleading or wusta (palm-greasing) was going to change the UAE border patrol's mind. After finally making it back to Dubai at 3:30 AM without managing to kill each other or hit any camels along the way (and oh, there were many), we called it a night.

The weekend got considerably more entertaining with a visit to the (elitist, obnoxious, but okay-okay-I-also-kind-of-loved-it) 400 Club on Friday night thanks to a bling-bling Lebanese friend who got us on the guest list. The new thing here is that whenever someone orders a magnum of champagne (dropping $500 on a regular bottle isn't enough, mind you, it has to be a magnum), they turn off the regular music and play something that sounds like a dance remix of the "Chariots of Fire" theme while it gets carried out to the table on a big platform with blazing sparklers on it. Seriously. Insert analysis on the psychology of conspicuous consumption here.

Yesterday E and I spent the day in true proxy-boyfriend fashion by car- and furniture-shopping together for 10 hours, bookended by all-you-can-eat North Indian thalis for lunch in Karama (total cost: USD $3 each) and oysters/chardonnay for dinner at the new Four Seasons Golf Club in Festival City (total cost: more than USD $3 each). In between, I managed to buy all my bedroom furniture (bed frame, armoire, dresser, nightstand, trunk) for under USD $500 because I am The World's Best Bargain Shopper - and it's not even from Ikea, thankyouverymuch. I also found the car I want to buy and I think it would "make every day an adventure" and help me "find my true identity" but have yet to decide if buying a new car is prudent for someone who is, well, me.

Time to work!